The Communications Officer will report to the UN Resident Coordinator/UNDP Resident Representative and Communications Analyst (remotely) and will work within the UN House premises. UNDP will provide a corporate email account which is crucial for the access and update of the UNDP website. Payments shall be made upon acceptance of deliverables by the Communications Analyst.
The Communication Officer shall provide communications support to the Country Office and projects, replacing the UNDP Communications Analyst who will be on maternity leave. The period covers 2 weeks of adaptation/learning/orientation and coaching by the Communications Analyst, and 2 weeks at the end of the assignment for hand over.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Communications and media relations:
- Coordinate and clear all communications-related activities;
- Develop press-releases in English and Romanian;
- Coordinate success stories, blog posts, and UNDP inputs for the UN in Moldova magazine;
- Distribute press materials to media;
- Liaise with media to set up or follow-up on interviews. Coordinate answers to media requests.
- Ensure and maintain cooperation and communication with mass-media and other organizations.
- Ability to work in a team;
- Initiative, resourcefulness, timeliness;
- Excellent self-organization abilities;
2. Communications coordination:
- Develop a draft UNDP Communications Strategy for 2018-2022 and a UNDP Communications Plan for 2018.
- Provide input for UNCG Communications Plan for 2018.
- Clear communications and visibility plans of projects.
- Supervise branding and update staff on changes.
- Continuously update Standard Operating Procedures for communications.
- Keep the intranet communications page and the Trello communications space up-to-date.
- Maintain the UNDP Calendar of events.
- Provide communications support to projects on how to organize media events, develop press materials and produce publications.
- Clear all publications.
- Coordinate major joint events and media events of the Country Office.
- Participate in UNDP Extended Management meetings and Programme meetings.
- Replace UNDP Communications Analyst in the United Nations Communications Group.
3. Online communications:
- Provide regular updates to the UNDP website. Ensure consistency of both language versions based on corporate requirements.
- Ensure consistence of our work/focus areas with the 2018-2022 Country Programme Document and update all projects cards, with input from projects.
- Maintain the following social media platforms of UNDP: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Exposure and Instagram.
- Contribute to UN accounts with UNDP-relevant content: YouTube, Issuu, Slideshare, Flickr, Odnoklassniki, Storify, Medium.
- Effective communication and writing skills;
- Knowledge of website management;
- Excellent digital communications skills and solid knowledge of social media platforms;
- Ensure quality control and check consistency of communication events/activities and content.
- Liaise and coordinate with the Istanbul Regional Hub Communications Team, for media crisis situations and development of communications products for the regional platforms.
- Provide support on other related issues.
- Update UNDP report for social media with monthly indicators.
- Coordinate media monitoring and analysis services.
- Coordinate procurement of communications services for the Country Office, clear Terms of References for projects and participate in evaluation panels.
- Continuously update the UNDP Roster of Communications Experts.
- Maintain an archive of photos and videos on UN(DP) communications server.
- Maintain and update the database of journalists in partnership with UN Communications Analyst.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy;
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent of 5 years’ University Degree in Journalism, Communication/Media Studies, International Relations, Sociology or other closely related field.
- At least five years of relevant progressively responsible professional experience at the national or international level in working with the media, a significant proportion of which should involve taking a leading role in conducting high-level media and awareness raising campaigns successfully targeting national press, television and radio.
- Experience in coordination of communication activities in an international organization or non-governmental organization;
- Proven experience in working with international organizations (successful experience in working with UN agencies is an asset);
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc)
- Fluency in oral and written Romanian, Russian, and English is a must.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
UNDP is an employer devoted to gender equity and to providing equal opportunities to both women and men.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.